Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Heart On A Chain

Title: Heart On A Chain
Author: Cindy C. Bennett

Summary:


17-year-old Kate has lived her whole life in abject poverty, with an alcoholic father and drug-addicted mother, who severely abuses Kate. At school, her second-hand clothing marks her as a target. Her refusal to stand up for herself makes her the recipient of her classmates taunts and bullying. That is, until Henry returns. 

Henry Jamison moved away six years earlier, just as he and Kate had begun an to develop feelings for one another. He returns to find the bright, funny, outgoing girl he had known now timidly hiding in corners, barely speaking to anyone around her, suspicious of even him. 

Kate can’t figure out what game Henry is playing with her - for surely it is a game. What else would the gorgeous, popular boy from her past want with her? 

Kate finally decides to trust Henry’s intentions, opening her heart to him. Just when it seems he might be genuine in his friendship, tragedy strikes, threatening everything Kate has worked so hard to gain. Can Henry help her to overcome this new devastation, or will it tear them apart forever?



My Thoughts:

I literally just finished this book about an hour ago, and I can say without hesitation that it is one of the best books I have ever read. It is one of those things that make you sit back and think about life, reconsider what you know, and evaluate who you want to become. I realize that that is an incredibly loaded statement, but aside from being a book that was enjoyable, it was a book that had the ability to make me feel. I smiled, I laughed, and I teared up while reading this book.

I will give a fair warning that this story is quite a diversion from the paranormal romance/ fantasy books I usually post about. Granted this book is fiction, but it touches on some emotional topics. It has some violence and down right cruel people in it, something that made me cringe, but at the same time I couldn't turn away from because I genuinely cared about Kate and wanted to know how her story would end.

I just can't say enough good things about this book. Oh, and did I mention I finished it in less than a day between doing school work and stuff around the house? Yeah, it's that good!

Definitely add this to your reading list!

-Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment